Monday, April 23, 2018

Top Ten Tuesday(55): Frequently Used Phrases In Young Adult Blurbs...

Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together.


Top Ten Frequently Used Phrases Used In Young Adult Blurbs...
(We decided to change the topic just a little this week...we did not like the previous version...also this is way more #spicy.)

Melissa's Top Five
  1. This is the story of THAT SUMMER... books with a phrase like this or similar phrases like "this was going to be a summer to remember" are honestly my jam.
  2. Heartbroken over the tragic death of..lover,mother,brother,dog Usually means books like this will start tragic as hell and end super uplifting and leaves you with all the feels.
  3. Apparently I live here now..This usually means the book will be about the main character reluctantly moving somewhere and the having a grand old time.
  4.  Nothing ever happens here..After uttering this phrase some person/event/magical being enters the story and shakes up the main characters forever.
  5. Crown Princess/Prince wants vengeance Someones whole family was murdered or close friend betrayed them in books with this phase. They are always bloody and filled with intrigue. 
    Jessica's Top Five
    1. The two develop an unlikely bond....Currently laughing as I type this, bro I don't even know. Umm this is one of those #spicy books where the love is forbidden or the characters obliviously hate each other but realize they might love each other....
    2. Can the bad boy stay bad forever?..I have read plenty of books with this in the blurb, and I love it...Typically these are motorcycle club series books  or series about the brothers who have troubled lives, and love with conditions...
    3. Strange things have always happened...until now..Usually means fantasy or paranormal books with SECRET POWERS that no one knows about...(yes, I did whisper the last part.)
    4. Soon everything she thought she knew about herself and her life will be challenged...This is one of those my husband left me for the nanny/housekeeper, and I was a homemaker. Now she is contemplating life and trying to reinvent herself with....A MAN! but don't worry she now knows that she needs to be independent,and have her own life.
    5. If only she could love me for me...Yes, this is a reformed bad boy who values the love he no longer has....And will spend the rest of the book forcing his love onto said woman...until A.) she takes him or B.) makes him understand their time has is gone...option B rarely happens but it would be nice..
    These are the books that  have we found with hilarious phrases in the Blurbs. 

    6 comments:

    1. I love your twist on the theme today! 'Apparently I live here now' is how I feel some days (although I've been in this town for way longer than you need to know about). :)

      Here is our Top Ten Tuesday. Thanks!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Ha ha love your twist on the theme!
      My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2018/04/24/top-ten-tuesday-156/

      ReplyDelete
    3. Definitely some overused phrases in blurbs. Trying to hook a reader is really hard! lol

      ReplyDelete
    4. I love your twist! Some of these I have seen some of these a lot but I am more interested in the ones I don't think I have seen before. 'Apparently I live here now...' I don't think I have seen that but I really like the phrase for some reason. I will look out for it now!

      My TTT https://wp.me/p3ftwe-VS

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Melissa can tel you all about the "Apparently I live here now..." those are her favorite genre of books.

        Delete

    Popular Post