Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Top Ten Tuesday(54): Top Ten Books I'd give a theme song too!!

Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together.


Today's Top Ten Tuesday topic is a FREEBIE!!! So we decided to combine our favorite things music, and books meaning we've chosen to do...

Top Ten Books we'd give a theme song too!! 
(and please tell us the song and why you'd pick it for the book!)

Melissa's Top Five
  1. Burro Hills by Julia Lynn Rubin In Burro Hills Jake is torn between a lot of things like his feelings for Conner, his family, and his future, and etc So one song that I thought fit his family issues was Unsteady by X Ambassadors, "Mother, I know That you're tired of being alone Dad, I know you're trying To fight when you feel like flying if you love me, don't let go If you love me, don't let go" and the song about him and Conner is Danny Avila, The Vamps - Too Good to Be True  ft. Machine Gun Kelly,  "Oh no baby don't lie When you say that you'll be mine I can't look in your eyes Cus I fall a thousand times And all I want is you to testify oooh Oh so baby don't lie when you say that you'll be mine"
  2. Love, Life, and the List by Kasie West This is a story all about Abby Turner trying to find her "heart" and complete a list meant to help her find it...I picked a song that reminds me of Abby's relationship with Cooper her unrequited crush on him.Saved by Khalid, "The hard part always seems to last forever Sometimes I forget that we aren't together Deep down in my heart, I hope you're doing alright But from time to time I often think of why you aren't mine But I'll keep your number saved 'Cause I hope one day you'll get the sense to call me"
  3. The Cruel Prince by Holly Black This book is intense and full of faeries!!! The man character Jude is a human trying to survive the beautiful but treacherous world of the fey and the first song that came to mind is Ruelle - Monsters, "One misstep, you're mine And you better stay clever if you wanna survive Once you cross the line You'll be wishing you would listen when you meet your demise" I can easily see this song playing in all of Jude's badass moments.
  4.  Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr Picking a song for this book was tough but I decided to go with Sweet Creature by Harry Styles for a song from Seth to Aislinn, "Sweet creature We're running through the garden Where nothing bothered us But we're still young I always think about you and how we don't speak enough" and the song to Seth from Aislinn is ,"Heavy words are hard to take Under pressure precious things can break And how we feel is hard to fake So let's not give the game away Just please don't say you love me'Cause I might not say it back"
  5. Our Chemical Hearts by Krystal Sutherland This book was amazing and I know I'm  cheating by  picking two songs, but I can't help it!!!  The first is "If I Loved You" (Ft. Lindsey Buckingham) by Delta Rae the reason is obvious if you read the book, " and AJR-Bud Like You for the awesome friendship seen in Our Chemical Hearts, "Kicking in the basement, kicking in the basement Hating all the same things too If I need a pick me up, would you come and pick me up I could really use a bud like you"
Jessica's Top Five
  1. The Boy in the Black Suit by Jason Reynolds- This story follows 17 yo Matt who wears a black suit everyday, because his new job is at the local funeral home. Matt is dealing with losing his mother, and his father not coping well, also meeting the girl of his dreams...First song I thought of was Long Live the Chief by Jidenna, "Now they say "Jidenna why you dressing so classic?"I don’t want my best dressed day in a casket You can either lead, follow or get out the way"
  2. House of Furies by Madeleine Roux -  Let The Bodies Hit The Floor by Drowning Pool...people died in every chapter??? This song is haunting, creepy, and so is House of Furies.. "Let the bodies hit the floor, Let the bodies hit the floor, Let the bodies hit the floor,Let the bodies hit the floor."
  3. Legend (Legend #1) by Marie Lu- The song I chose is Teenagers by My Chemical Romance- "They're gonna clean up your looks, With all the lies in the books, To make a citizen out of you, Because they sleep with a gun, And keep an eye on you, son, So they can watch all the things you do". Legend follows Day as he has "failed" his Trials which everyone does when you're ten. The trial consists of written, oral, and a physical examination, a high score mans a life of privilege and service, and a failing grade means a life sentenced to labor camps, never to be seen again. Except Day lives somehow, and tries to take on the Republic anyway he can - enter love interest...and of course teenagers fighting back using what they were taught.  
  4. All Rights Reserved (Word$ #1) by Gregory Scott Katsoulis...It was pretty hard looking for a song that matched the book or shared a similar message to the book. But I found  Silent Revolution by My Excuse "In time, I've come to terms with absence, Of sense in all I witness, I quietly standby, I've reached a compromise with weakness, Behind the scenes I wait, But neutral is accomplice, When everything's at stake." This song is perfect because it has the same message that Speth was fighting for unknowing, and unwillingly, starting a silent revolution.
  5.  Long Way Down by Jason Reynolds- Just Another Day by Queen Latifah..."Just Another Day, living in the hood, Just another day around the way, Feelin good today, feelin lovely-yay, Just another day, living in the hood, Just another day around the way, Feelin good today, I hear the(gunshot), but I'm here to stay." For those of you who do not know, Mr.Reynolds is a huge fan of The Queen Latifah, and he should be rightfully so...She is a lyricist who made amazing music that doesn't get enough recognition. I imagine that Just Another Day would play in the beginning of the film and switch to "My Mind Playing Tricks On Me by Geto Boys"..."At night I can't sleep, I toss and turn, Candlesticks in the dark, visions of bodies being burned"...You have to read the book, and then listen to the song..
These are the books that we'd give a theme song to. What books did you like, and wouldn't read again??

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Post