Saturday, April 1, 2017

Review:Gabi,Girl In Pieces

Title: Gabi,Girl In Pieces
Author: Isabel Quintero 
Publisher: Cinco Puntos Press

Gabi Hernandez chronicles her last year in high school in her diary: college applications, Cindy's pregnancy, Sebastian's coming out, the cute boys, her father's meth habit, and the food she craves. And best of all, the poetry that helps forge her identity.

July 24

My mother named me Gabriella, after my grandmother who, coincidentally, didn't want to meet me when I was born because my mother was unmarried, and therefore living in sin. My mom has told me the story many, many, MANY, times of how, when she confessed to my grandmother that she was pregnant with me, her mother beat her. BEAT HER! She was twenty-five. That story is the basis of my sexual education and has reiterated why it's important to wait until you're married to give it up. So now, every time I go out with a guy, my mom says, "Ojos abiertos, piernas cerradas." Eyes open, legs closed. That's as far as the birds and the bees talk has gone. And I don't mind it. I don't necessarily agree with that whole wait until you're married crap, though. I mean, this is America and the 21st century; not Mexico one hundred years ago. But, of course, I can't tell my mom that because she will think I'm bad. Or worse: trying to be White.


****************************
Fun fact after reading this book I just about died.When I say I just about died I mean that in a good way...Gabi,A Girl In Pieces is an excellent book i'd recommend to anyone. Growing up there were never really a lot of books with main characters that looked like me and I love the fact that Isabel Quintero wrote a book that I can see resonating with young Hispanic readers. Another fun fact is that, I got to see Isabel Quintero at the Texas Teen Book Fest and it was great.

Gabi,A Girl In Pieces is written as a diary of a single year ,Gabi's senior year of high school, Quintero's novel focuses on what Gabi goes through on a near-daily basis.There is no topic that is shied away from in Gabi. A girl in Pieces I loved the  honesty that was depicted, as Gabi struggled with some pretty tough stuff, from being the "fat girl" to her best friend's unwanted pregnancy, to her dad being a meth addict.The romance was steady and sweet,it screamed young almost but not quite love.As I mentioned some of the topics were heavy and I think were approached and brought up in a well written way.The only issue I had was how the topic of rape was handle.I kind of feel like more could have been said about it...I would love to see some of the secondary characters get there own story.

My favorite part of the book was the Female Body zine Gabi created it was kick-ass and bold.The Spanglish throughout the book was also pretty awesome. Not going to lie the cover put me off of the book for a while then I learned more about the book and gave it a try.I'm certainly glad I got over judging the book by it's cover,for Gabi,A Girl In Pieces is definitely a worthwhile read.The cover is intriguing if anything and after reading the book I understand it,the cover without doubt fits the story.4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Post