Sunday, March 24, 2019

Reveiw: Kingdom of Exile

Title: Kingdom of Exiles
Author: Maxym Martineau
Publisher: SOURCEBOOKS Casablanca

Assassin’s Creed meets Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them in this gripping, epic fantasy romance trilogy.

My heart wasn’t part of the deal when I bargained for my life, but assassins so rarely keep their word.

Exiled Charmer Leena Edenfrell is running out of time. Empty pockets forced her to sell her beloved magical beasts—an offense punishable by death—and now there’s a price on her head. With the realm’s most talented murderer-for-hire nipping at her heels, Leena makes Noc an offer he can’t refuse: powerful mythical creatures in exchange for her life.

Plagued by a curse that kills everyone he loves, Noc agrees to Leena’s terms in hopes of finding a cure. Never mind that the dark magic binding the assassin’s oath will eventually force him to choose between Leena’s continued survival…and his own. In a game of trust and half-lies, only one thing can be certain: traps capture more than beasts and ensnared hearts are impossible to untangle.

*************************
Full disclosure, I got the ARC from Netgalley during the open download time. 

 A book-blogger tweeted that you could read Kingdom of Exiles on Netgalley. So I went to request it right away after reading the synopsis. Leena is a charmer, she charms magical beasts and and each of the beasts have certain powers that can be called upon when needed. She has been living in exile due to a crime she did not commit. She does what she has to do to survive which is selling her beasts. This is forbidden by the charmers and is definitely frowned upon. I had a lot of favorite things about this book but my all time  favorite part of the story is the beasts!!! From cute, cuddly, and wily to ferociously protective the descriptions were dope as hell.

The cover is cute but not going to lie it gives e strong Windows 95 vibes. I enjoyed the hell out of Kingdom of Exiles!! The main character was very personable and you can tell she had flaws but overall you wanted to root for her. The Romantic part of the story is pretty well down and I dig the fact that It didn't seem too cliche. I can't read it to read more  and I'm very curious about Nocs past life. I think my favorite thing about this was the description of the beasts and the friendship between the main character and the shadow assassins. At its core kingdom of Exiles is about  friendship and really drove home the idea of found Family.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Post