Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Theme Of The Day:Our (fictional) Goverment Sucks...the Journey Home

 I haven't done a theme of the day in a very long while so after reading Safekeeping and realizing it reminded me of another book that I always planned on reviewing but never did I decided to make this post.This posts theme of the day focuses on governments that are less than ideal and the main characters the Journey Home

Title: Far From The War
Author:Jeffrey David Payne
Publisher:Roche Harbor Books


Economic ruin and partisan rancor have pushed America to the brink of a new civil war. Esther is caught in the middle, serving as a page in the United States House of Representatives when rogue politicians and military leaders stage a modern day coup d'etat. When the coup turns violent, she abandons Washington, D.C. for home. She must learn to survive on her own as transportation and financial networks fail, as the war disrupts food and water supplies. The result is a cautionary tale about political extremism and the true cost of war

Cover:It took me a while to figure out that the silhouette on the cover was a girl..and now that I know I can't unsee it.I feel like the light colors and shadowy figure fits in with the uncertainy of Esther's journey thoughout the book.

My Thoughts:I received a copy from the publisher way back when the book was released and sadly it's taken me till now to write about this interesting book.At first it was not my cup of tea, I was confused by all the political talk and phases.However I continued on reading and grew to enjoy Esther's story,for story is much different Than Radley's in Safekeeping there's a lot more detail about why the government is fall but the main focus is still survival and Esther journey home-bound.If you're a fan of civil war tales and a brave young women then this book id for you.If your on the fence give it a try you never know.3/4


Title: safekeeping
Author:Karen Hesse
Publisher:Feiwel & Friends

 Radley just wants to get home to her parents in Vermont. While she was volunteering abroad, the American People's Party took power; the new president was assassinated; and the government cracked down on citizens. Travel restrictions are worse than ever, and when her plane finally lands in New Hampshire, Radley’s parents aren’t there.

Exhausted; her phone dead; her credit cards worthless: Radley starts walking


Cover:Not mush to say about the cover other than the fact that the photography is lovely and fits with the story completely.
My Thoughts: Safekeeping I feel like will please a certain type of person one who revels is the everyday.The story revolves around Radley and her journey home as well as her journey to a new place that she can possibly call home.Safekeeping is more about the everyday urge to survive and keep on hoping than the fall of the government. Safekeeping is more about Radleys story than the fact that the government is in shambles.The book is filled with gorgeous pictures that more or less go with the story.While I enjoyed Safekeeping it might not be for everyone.You never know till you give it a try though.2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Post