Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Not A Drop To Drink

  Title: Not A Drop To Drink
Author: Mindy Mcginnis
Published: Sept 24,2013
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books

Regret was for people with nothing to defend, people who had no water.

Lynn knows every threat to her pond: drought, a snowless winter, coyotes, and, most importantly, people looking for a drink. She makes sure anyone who comes near the pond leaves thirsty, or doesn't leave at all.

Confident in her own abilities, Lynn has no use for the world beyond the nearby fields and forest. Having a life means dedicating it to survival, and the constant work of gathering wood and water. Having a pond requires the fortitude to protect it, something Mother taught her well during their quiet hours on the rooftop, rifles in hand.

But wisps of smoke on the horizon mean one thing: strangers. The mysterious footprints by the pond, nighttime threats, and gunshots make it all too clear Lynn has exactly what they want, and they won’t stop until they get it….


**************************** 
When this book first came out I never really was all that excited it seemed like a good book  but it wasn't on the top of my to read list. However it seemed like for a certain point this book was everywhere on the internet.I refused to read the book or to look up  reviews about this book for no reason other than the fact I'm stubborn and refused to be swayed to read it,then one day after talking about it with a friend I figured what the hell and bought the book and guess what....I absolutely love Not A Drop To Drink

Survival isn't always fast paced fights to the death.Or battling demons and monsters.Sometimes it's  slow and steady but still equally as terrifying and gritty.Lynn the main character was raised cold by her mom learning that survival and living day to day protecting the pond is all that matters.However life is filled with twist and turns and Lynn gets tossed a curve ball by life hard. After that the reader get to see Lynn grow and learn that maybe there's more out in the world then just surviving.

What I enjoyed about this story that while it's not flashy like other dystopian novels,it's still a gripping story that keeps you hooked from start to finish.It has a sense of realism that scary and made me grateful for tap water. The cover to me fits the book/story perfectly because the house against the bare background and hills makes highlight the bleak feeling of the story but the splash of color makes it seem almost hopeful in a weird way.
When I finished reading the book I put it down spazzed out/fangirled about it then reread it a few days later.The ending was honestly a bit bitter sweet and perfect,I'm glad I decied to give the book a chance.Don't just take my word on the awesomeness of Not A Drop To Drink though go check it out yourselves. 5/5

P.S There's a companion book coming out in Sept called In A Handful Of Dust.I'm not sure how I feel about this since I thought Not A Drop To Drink was going to be a stand alone but regardless I plan on reading to find out more about the world Mindy M created. (:

4 comments:

  1. I have heard SOOOO many good things about this book. I have got to work it into my schedule soon! :) So glad you enjoyed it. :) Nice blog, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this too! So glad you decided to read it. I was really surprised when I saw the cover for the sequel. I had no idea there would be a second book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah when I saw the sequel/companion cover I was like What?!? I'm curious to see how the stories going to continue. BTW Thanks for stopping by. :)

      Delete

Popular Post