Monday, October 15, 2012

Theme of the day:Julliard

 So I don't really post as much as i would like so once in a while I will put up a post focusing on two books with some kind of theme tying the books together.
This posts theme with be Julliard.


Title:How I Paid for College
 Author:
It's 1983 in Wallingford, New Jersey, a sleepy bedroom community outside of Manhattan. Seventeen-year-old Edward Zanni, a feckless Ferris Bueller-type, is Peter Panning his way through a carefree summer of magic and mischief, sending underwear up flagpoles and re-arranging lawn animals in compromising positions. The fun comes to a screeching halt, however, when Edward's father remarries and refuses to pay for Edward to study acting at Juilliard.
In a word, Edward's screwed. He's ineligible for scholarships because his father earns too much. He's unable to contact his mother because she's somewhere in Peru trying to commune with the Incan spirits. And, in a sure sign he's destined for a life in the arts, Edward's incapable of holding down a job.
So Edward turns to his loyal (but immoral) misfit theater pals to help him steal the tuition money from his father.Along the way Edward also learns the value of friendship, hard work and how you're not really a man until you can beat up your father. (Metaphorically, that is.)

Cover: Passing by this book on a shelf at the library you can't help but notice it sitting there.The cover is loud,intriguing and some might say obnoxious(in a good way). The cover definitely does justice to the story since the story.
My Thoughts: The title instantly drew me in and the inside jacket kept me hooked.The story is ridiculous and far fetched but I absolutely love it.Some parts had me dying of laughter,then the others were heart warming and cute.This book is great for a pick me up but if you're not a fan of books with to much sex scenes and hook-ups this book might not be for you. 3/5


 Title:Lucky Fools
Author: Cohert Voorhees
 David Ellison dreams of acting at Julliard, but he's expected to attend nearby Stanford University, just like all of his classmates at hard-driving Oak Fields Prep. As if wasting his private school education weren't enough, David is also on track to destroy his relationship with his girlfriend, Ellen, when he finds himself falling for his new co-star, Vanessa.

With David's Juilliard audition approaching, and his relationship teetering on the brink of disaster, Oak Fields is thrown into chaos as a mysterious prankster begins attacking the school's highest achievers, determined to sabotage their college aspirations. Anyone who excels is a potential target, and David, the star of every play, could be next.


Cover:The cover is of a guy loosing his tie and I feel that this ties in with the book quite nicely.The book is about figuring your self out while dealing with the stress that comes along with life,highschool and deciding what to do next.
My Thoughts: I just finished reading the book above about Edward Zanni and his goal to get to Julliard so when i came across Lucky Fools and realized it had some focus on Julliard i decided to give it a try.I'm glad i did it was a different read for me and I enjoyed it.Reading this you can't help but become invested in David's life.I liked the message that the book built up to and how the ending was a bit of a surprise.This book had me laughing out loud on minute and contemplating my  life choices  the next 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Post