Thursday, January 26, 2012

Awkward

 Title:Awkward 
Author:Marni Bates
Published:January 1,2012 
Publisher: Kensington Pub Corp


Mackenzie Wellesley has spent her life avoiding the spotlight. At Smith High, she's the awkward junior people only notice when they need help with homework. Until she sends a burly football player flying with her massive backpack and makes a disastrous - not to mention unwelcome - attempt at CPR.

Before the day is out, the whole fiasco explodes on YouTube. And then the strangest thing happens. Suddenly, Mackenzie is an Internet sensation, with four million hits and counting. Sucked into a whirlwind of rock stars, paparazzi, and free designer clothes, she even catches the eye of the most popular guy at school. And that's when life gets really interesting...

 I killed him, I thought numbly. I killed him with my awkwardness!

So the quote above pretty much sums up the book...Well not really but its one of many that make the book hilarious.  

Mackenzie is a hardworking, spastic,quirky awkward girl whose life changes after a mishap with a football player. The horribly awkward scene gets put on youtube then life starts to change drastically or poor sweet awkward Mackenzie.She's a instant hit famous celebs are talking and tweeting about her and then a famous band uses her video in a music video.From there she get thrust in a world of rock stars,designer cloths,and miscommunications with hot boys.Watching Mackenzie try to figure out her new life is absolutely hysterical

The characters were relate able and the book felt current.I loved Mackenzie's best friends Jane and Corey, who stood by their friend no matter what.I would love a buddy like Corey to help pick out my clothes.Then there is Jane who seemed just super sweet and bookish in a good way.I liked the fact that Mackenzie's younger brother was so embarrassed of her but also really protective of his older sister even though he's in middle school.The romance was actually quite adorable plus sweet and slow. I loved Logan he seemed like a actual nice guy. I enjoyed ReadySet and the twist with the lead singer Tom and his crush.The author made the band seem relaxed like just a group of talented guys who are famous.I like the fact that the band wasn't cliche. 

The cover to me ties in with the whole book its colorful,cute and quirky.

The whole attitude of the book was light and fun and entertaining, nothing serious or heavy.I read the book in one siting i found it entertaining and at times I found myself cringing at Mackenzie and her awkwardness but she ended up growing on me.This book has a chill vibe to it i would recommend this book to any one wanting to have a light fun read. 3/5

So the video is by a band called the Readyset not really the band in the book Btw...
 

1 comment:

  1. What a great review!! New follower looking forward to more :-)

    ReplyDelete

Popular Post