Monday, June 20, 2011

Twenty Boy Summer


Title: Twenty Boy Summer  
Author: Sarah Ockler  
Publisher: Little, Brown Books
Published:June 1, 2009
 


"Don't worry, Anna. I'll tell her, okay? Just let me think about the best way to do it."
"Okay."
"Promise me? Promise you won't say anything?"
"Don't worry." I laughed. "It's our secret, right?"

According to her best friend Frankie, twenty days in ZanzibarBay is the perfect opportunity to have a summer fling, and if they meet one boy ever day, there's a pretty good chance Anna will find her first summer romance. Anna lightheartedly agrees to the game, but there's something she hasn't told Frankie—-she's already had that kind of romance, and it was with Frankie's older brother, Matt, just before his tragic death one year ago.


I heard about this book before but i never really gave it a second thought but then i read Fixing Delilah by Sarah Ockler and i figured I'd give Twenty Boy Summer a shot.I have to say I'm definitely glad i decide to read this book.
The cover is cute and sweet and i honesty didn't realize that the pieces of the heart were supposed to represent sea glass till almost the end, I thought they were bits of paper or post-its.

The story revoles around  Anna and Frankie.I absolutely loved both characters.Frankie's was  spunky,flirty but still fragile.Then there was Anna the narrator who was in love with Matt and had a brief relationship with him before he died but never told a soul, which is completely heartbreaking i definently could never hold something like that in for so long.Matt wasn't alive for much of the story but M
att's presence through memories and flashbacks lets you know him just as well as Frankie or Anna.

Anna and Frankie have practically grown up together and share everything with one another. Except for the fact that Anna has always been in love with Frankie’s brother Matt.So on the day of  Anna's fifteen birthday Matt and her share a kiss;after that they start up a secret relationship they don't want to hide it but Matt's worried about what Frankie's his little sister will say so they promise to keep it a secret till the summer.Matt's supposed to tell Frankie when they go on vacation for the summer but then Matt dies before they can reveal the truth.
Just one year later the girls are going out to the beach house were Frankie and Matts family always went to this is the fist time since Matt died.Frankie thinks they should have a twenty buy summer Anna agrees but is still in love with Matt she doesn't think she can move on.

I honestly didn't expect this book to be so heart breaking beautiful.This book made me laugh,cry,laugh then cry a little more.When Anna accepted the idea of the Twenty Boy summer i wanted to hit her i thought she should have just told Frankie then and there but I'm glad she didn't.Cause i she didn't she would have never met Sam.I adore Sam's character and how he helped Anna but i wish  there was a bit more dialogue between the two of them. 
Whether the secret finally does come out, well, I’ll let you read and discover that for yourself.I would recommend this book to any one teens or adults. The book is adorable and tragic its all about the meaning of friendship, grief and forgiveness.I cant believe i put off reading this book for so long. 5/5




No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Post