Monday, January 1, 2018

Review: Calling My Name

Title: Calling My Name
Author:  Liara Tamani
Release Date: October 24th 2017
Publisher: Greenwillow Books/HarperCollins


Taja Brown lives with her parents and older brother and younger sister, in Houston, Texas. Taja has always known what the expectations of her conservative and tightly-knit family are—do well in school, go to church every Sunday, no intimacy before marriage. But Taja is trying to keep up with friends as they get their first kisses, first boyfriends, first everythings.

 And she’s tired of cheering for her athletic younger sister and an older brother who has more freedom just because he’s a boy. Taja dreams of going to college and forging her own relationship with the world and with God, but when she falls in love for the first time, those dreams are suddenly in danger of evaporating.




***************************************************
(I received an advance copy of this book for free. Thanks to Texas Teen Book Fest)

I first heard about Calling My Name thanks to someones tweet on twitter.I'm not going to lie the cover is what drew me to the book more so than the synopsis. I was a bit unsure of reading Calling My Name because of the religions aspect mainly cause a lot of ya books I've read with religious aspect feel like religion is being forced at the reader....this was not the case with Calling My Name I am definitely glad I gave Calling My Name a chance because Liara Tamani has written  a very beautiful story about growing up with family members that do not always understand you.

 We follow Taja from middle grade up through high school graduation. We experience all her firsts. We follow her as she tries to figure out who she is and what she believes. Taja Brown as a main character was relate-able and a sweetheart who was just trying to figure out her own beliefs and who she wanted to be. I really like how the story  spans time with only light themes within it. Calling My Name is the type of book you read on chill day with no where to be. There's no urgency and what kept me reading was the beautiful writing. While not in verse it had a similar feel to it, I am a huge fan of Liara Tamani's writing style in this book it was absolutely freaking gorgeous. 

The cover screams simple elegance and I think it fits the story within perfectly.I would definitely recommend this book to my friends and,family,and any stranger. 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Post