Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Top Ten Tuesday(48): Books I’ve Decided I’m No Longer Interested In Reading

Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together.


Books I've Decided I'm No Longer Interested in Reading...


Jessica's Picks
  1. Fault in our Stars by John Green...I actually have never read one of his books. I was going to give this book a chance, and possibly watch this movie but I'm okay...This was going to be the first and last book I read by John Green but recently I have decided I don't want too. I understand that people love his books, but I'm just not someone who even wants to read his books.
  2. Divergent Series by Veronica Roth...I was going to try, and read this series but I decided not too. I do love her most recent book Carve The Mark. I honestly have no interest in this book but I have heard great reviews, I'll trust everyone else's opinion about the book. Maybe watch the movie but ehh who knows.
  3. 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher... Nope, nahh  just not going to happen...I have issues with male authors writing about young women/teen girls main characters? It's  similar to how I feel about white authors writing Black/Hispanic/Native American/Indian/Arabic characters, just no. Not to mention there is a very graphic rape situation, and suicide. I'm also not going to watch the series either.
  4. The Continent by Keira Drake..I remember hearing about this book, and being excited because the premise was great...but upon further research I will not read her book or anything by Mrs.Drake. Honestly I think I can forgive ignorance, if it is ignorance. Mrs.Drake wrote a book that by all accounts could have been great if not for the blatant racism, magical POC, and the great white savior...After a crap top of backlash/plans to boycott said book, Mrs.Drake decided to do a revision/rewrite, and push back the release date of The Continent...I should mention that Mrs.Drake did state that she is in fact not racist, had no idea the book was racist either...Rewrite you say? Well, the great white savoir is a distant descendant of one of the tribes, rape scene removed, war paint removed now they have colorful tattoos...Bottom line is no, I will not read this book.
  5. The Help by Kathryn Stockett...I actually tried to read this book, and couldn't get pass chapter 3??..I was so offended  that this white author could write a book in the "voice" of a Black maid in the 1960's...Also Kathryn just happened to use the name of her brother's maid...Like come on, I am so sick of movies/books like this Black authors do not write books like this for a reason. When I think about this book, I ask myself now what would make a nice white woman like Kathryn Stockett write a book like this? Was she sitting in her nice kitchen thinking "you know what? I think it's time, we need a book from a Black maid's POV, about working for white people in the 1960's..." Kathyrn thinks that these characters are admirable..Where? When? While cleaning your toilets or raising your white children or When Kathryn had Aibileen comparing her skin complexion to a cockroach to see whose skin is the Blackest...but I digress..
Melissa's Picks
(Book Series)
  1. House of Night P.C Cast -I started reading this series in high-school and continued to read it past that,for a while I enjoyed it. However I just have no desire to finish this series mainly cause I just lost interest,but also because the series is now on it's 11 book.
  2. Beautiful Creatures Kami Garcia -This is another series that I start but quickly realized I'm ok not finishing the rest of the books.
  3. Of Mice and Men- I was on a classic quick and tried to read Of Mice and Men but sadly I could not get into this book.
  4. Rivals and Retribution (13 to Life #5)by Shannon Delany- I was really into novels about werewolves and I think I stopped reading this series just because i could no longer remember what the past books were about when I picked up the most recent book.
  5. Tantalize by Cynthia Leitich Smith- This was a weird book and after a while I was over it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Post