Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Review: In a Dark, Dark Wood

Title: In a dark, dark wood
Author: Ruth Ware
Publisher: Harvill Secker
Release Date: July 30th, 2015

What should be a cozy and fun-filled weekend deep in the English countryside takes a sinister turn in Ruth Ware’s suspenseful, compulsive, and darkly twisted psychological thriller.

Sometimes the only thing to fear…is yourself.

When reclusive writer Leonora is invited to the English countryside for a weekend away, she reluctantly agrees to make the trip. But as the first night falls, revelations unfold among friends old and new, an unnerving memory shatters Leonora’s reserve, and a haunting realization creeps in: the party is not alone in the woods.



**********************************************************
This was one of those airport finds, I had to choose between this book, poetry, and Snowman....This won for obvious reasons. I haven't read a thriller in quite sometime, so this was refreshing. I totally loved the simplicity of the cover, that's one of the reasons I choose this book. 

In a dark, dark wood, we meet Nora or Lee depends who is speaking at the moment. She is very much a loner, and when I say loner, I mean if there is no reason to have contact with the outside world Nora does not. So I probably should say hermit instead. Nora's life is simple wake up, make coffee, checks/answer email's,go for a morning run to clear her mind, shower, write a few chapters in her book, dinner, repeat cycle. This changes when Nora gets an email from someone she doesn't know, telling her that she is invited to a bachelorette party. Whose bachelorette party, someone she hasn't seen in ten years, and then she asks why? I don't want to give away too much of the book, but it was good.  Probably one of the best thrillers, I have read in some time. I found myself annoyed with the main character, most of the time. Lee could, and would not defend herself in most situations, unless she was talking to Nina. There were times when I had to put the book down because I was over Nora letting people, say/talk to her any way they wanted with no repercussions. I wish we could have learned more about Nina, but there wasn't time, she was a true friend to Nora the entire book. I thought this book was predictable but then WHAM plot twist, honestly didn't see it coming. This is like single white female, if they were childhood friends, now reunited, and getting married....Let that sink in 4/5


If you can go buy this book out, or check-it out from your local library, it's going to be a movie but i suggest reading the book first. Also the cover just screams I'm lost, I love simplicity.
Available for purchase at Amazon~Barnes and Noble

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Post