Monday, June 5, 2017

Review:The Careful Undressing of Love

Title:The Careful Undressing of Love
Author:Corey Ann Haydu

Everyone who really knows Brooklyn knows Devonairre Street girls are different. They’re the ones you shouldn’t fall in love with. The ones with the curse. The ones who can get you killed.

Lorna Ryder is a Devonairre Street girl, and for years, paying lip service to the curse has been the small price of living in a neighborhood full of memories of her father, one of the thousands killed five years earlier in the 2001 Times Square Bombing. Then her best friend’s boyfriend is killed, and suddenly a city paralyzed by dread of another terrorist attack is obsessed with Devonairre Street and the price of falling in love.

Set in an America where recent history has followed a different path.



****************************

I was at the library and as soon as i picked up The Careful Undressing of Love I was hooked because of the sort of odd synopsis..This book was full of whimsy and kinda trippy in the best way. However sometimes I'd have to reread something twice because the book took a nosedive straight into "wtf" territory. Magical realism tends to mess with my head. I can't honestly say weather I loved The Careful Undressing of Love or not.

The story is told by one of the girls, Lorna, The Careful Undressing of Love is set in an alternate NYC in which unknown attackers bombed Times Square a few years before the novel takes place There is a variety of characters,the main ones are are the girls (and boy, they are LornaCruzCharlotteDelilahIsla) . I thought that Lorna and the other girls tended to blur together at times.I would have loved to learn about what Isla and Cruz thought especially towards the end of the book.I have so many questions I wish were answered.Is Devonnaire Street a cult? Is Angelika crazy? What happened to the other Devonnaire Street Girls at the end?Is Cruz ok? Despite the fact that I'd love to know the answers to my question,I hope the book stays a standalone.

The cover is quite pretty but i'm not going to lie I had no clue that the cover was a lemon tree till I started reading the book... I like how the cover looks sorta like a painting.As I mentioned I'm still not certain how I feel about the way it ends,however I would with out a doubt recommend this book to anyone who's into magical realism.The ending was absolutely heartbreaking and stunning all at once.3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Post