Thursday, June 22, 2017

Review:Witch Child

Title: Witch Child
Author: Celia Rees
Publisher: Candlewick / Bloomsbury
 
“I am Mary. I am a witch.”

Welcome to the diary of Mary Newbury, which opens with Mary watching her grandmother being put on trial for being a witch. We soon learn that Mary is actually the witch, and she knows it. She is taken by a mysterious women, and told that she will be sent to America. While traveling to America Mary starts her diary, and eventually settles with Puritans. Mary tries to stay under the radar but rivalries force to her defend herself from a group of jealous young girls.

Being taken by a mysterious woman whom she learns is her mother but this is her first and last time seeing her. There are also new characters we get a chance to meet the lonely minister, widow midwife, scholar, the Indian boy, and The Reverend. We eventually learn that Mary has “The Sight”, and can see qualities of person through their eyes. She will be given the name “Eyes of a Wolf” by a shaman, who she visits donned in boys clothes

This book was not a favorite for me, it turns out that I had already read this book. The book had two different covers, and it’s been a few years since I originally read the book. I was excited I love books with a supernatural theme but I just wasn’t a fan of this book. I found this book to be very realistic while describing the Salem Witchcraft trials, general life in the mid-17th century, the religiously obsessed people/reverend, language appropriate, and over all paranoia. Jessica's Rating 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Post