Thursday, March 23, 2017

Review:Labyrinth Lost


Title:Labyrinth Lost

Author: Zoraida Córdova
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire


I fall to my knees. Shattered glass, melted candles and the outline of scorched feathers are all that surround me. Every single person who was in my house – my entire family — is gone.

Alex is a bruja, the most powerful witch in a generation…and she hates magic. At her Deathday celebration, Alex performs a spell to rid herself of her power. But it backfires. Her whole family vanishes into thin air, leaving her alone with Nova, a brujo boy she can’t trust. A boy whose intentions are as dark as the strange markings on his skin.

The only way to get her family back is to travel with Nova to Los Lagos, a land in-between, as dark as Limbo and as strange as Wonderland…

**********************************
Brujas,magic.and that cover...Gahh why wouldn't people want to read Labyrinth Lost.When I first found out about Labyrinth Lost I was beyond pumped!!!My main reason for being pumped is because in a world of white washing,you don't hear of many young adult books exploring the Hispanic culture or brujas. I think one of my favorite things about  Labyrinth Lost is that at the beginning of each chapter, there are awesome little quotes meant to intrigue and sends the readers deeper into the world of the book.

The book is all about Alex who's  a bruja, the most powerful witch in a generation…and she hates magic.I'm not going to lie at times I was not a fan of Alex at all.It took me a while to get over the things that bothered me about Alex.The romance was pretty subtle for the most part,but then sometimes it was glaring obvious.I liked Nova and that plot twist was well done.I saw it coming but for some reason I thought it was Alex's other love interest that was going to go the route Nova did.The characters were interesting ,but honestly, most of the time i was more invested in the setting and world building than the cast of characters that were introduced.


The cover  is absolutely gorgeous,it's simple but eye catching all at once!!!! Labyrinth Lost definitely has it's high points, but it does have its share of low points as well. The story started off pretty strong but that momentum started to die off gradually when we got to the middle. I was still eager to read the book and see what happens next but sometimes it was like the plot was just chugging along with no real ommph. The ending without doubt ended on a cliff hanger and I cant wait to read what comes next!! 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Post