Monday, February 20, 2017

Review:The Heartbreakers

Title: The Heartbreakers
Author: Ali Novak

"When I met Oliver Perry, I had no clue he was the lead singer for The Heartbreakers. Unbeknownst to him, I was the only girl in the world who hated his music."

Since Cara's health has been deteriorating, all Stella Walter can think about is trying to cheer her sister up. Her life revolves around Cara to the point where Stella drops out of one of the country's top photography programs so she can spend what little time she has left with her sick sister. 

With Cara's birthday around the corner, Stella wants to get her the perfect gift. An autographed poster of her sister's favorite boy band should do the trick. Sounds simple enough, right? But life isn't always so easy. 

Not only does Stella hate The Heartbreakers because of their terrible music, but when she realizes that the cute boy she met at Starbucks is really Oliver Perry, the lead singer of the band, her life seems to spin out of control... 

Will Stella be able to swallow her pride and get the autograph that she so desperately needs to make Cara happy? And will Oliver be able to show Stella how to live her own life again? 

Meet... The Heartbreakers.


************************************


The romance between Stella and Oliver was a bit hit or miss for me mainly because it was insta-love. There were some angst filled moments in the book, mainly to do with this romance, but all came out alright in the end. I've previously read Novak's other book, My Life with the Walter Boys, and My Life with the Walter Boys is definitely my favorite of the two.I actually really want to read the sequel to My life with the Walter Boys.

The characters were all interesting in the own way a bit flat but still enjoyable to read about.the main character is filled with angst, sarcasm and she's a bit of a snob. Stella for me is one of those characters that I liked and then at times she bugged the heck out of me. She wasn't very likable but at times I could see were she was a bit relate-able. Oliver seemed nice, and kinda troubled I really enjoyed his dynamic with his fellow band mates.I thought the book was going to focus on Cara and her cancer a bit more, but there are only a few chapters that mention her/her cancer.With this being said Cara is very relevant to the plot and causes some major plot twists.Cara was a sweet charector and I enjoyed her and her siblings interactions.

The cover is definitely eye catching and the scene depicted is  intriguing.I definitely think it fits the story. Overall The Heartbreakers was a really cute read  it's pretty predictable but still worth reading. 3/5


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Post